Thursday, April 12, 2012

Closet Organization

It's been a looong time since I last weeded through my closet.  After a small shopping spree the other day at the outlet mall, I thought it was definitely time to attack my closet so I would have some room to put my new things.  This is how my closet looked before I started:  Mostly my clothes and some of Dave's. What a mess!

Gross!  What is this?

I had already bought these closet dividers and have been using them for a while.  All the hangers that are hung the wrong way are clothes that I've worn. 

So I started by taking all the stuff off the floor and the shelves.  Vacuumed them, and wiped them down.  Then I started pulling clothes out that I don't wear, can't stand to look at, or don't fit properly.  I ended up with this pile:
Since I had this huge basked of hangers now, I switched all my clothes to white hangers, just to make it look nicer.  I moved all of Dave's clothes to the right of the closet, hung a command hook for his belts, and hung another one on the back of the door where an old one had fallen off.  Looks much better, right?

On the top shelf I put two bags that I'm always packing, usually to stay over night at my mom's house.  On the second shelf I put some folded sweaters, my iron and jugs of distilled water for the iron, a basked of socks without mates, and some purses.
On the floor I have a basket of sneakers, one of boots, and then my slippers.  I also filled the shoe organizer with the shoes that I wear most often. 
Here is a side by side comparison:
Ok, so maybe it doesn't look too different, but it really is!  Afterwards I cleaned out the drawrs in both my dressers and had dave go throught his drawrs too.  We ended up with four garbage bags worth of clothes to donate!  Sooo much nicer to open the closet now!
~Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment